An Early Morning Run: Yes, No, Maybe?

Posted on July 29, 2011


Tomorrow we plan to wake up at 5:30 AM for a 7 mile run.  The thought of it sounds a bit ridiculous since it will be Saturday and I am normally not so inclined to wake up early for any weekend.  It’s funny how Rachel and I will discuss getting up really early like it’s a natural progression in our training and we’re really looking forward to it, but we both know it’s something we dread.  I know the optimistic side of ourselves, well, ok, the Rachel side says, “It will be fine and we will get used to it.”  The Raul side, however, says, “Are you kidding me…are you freakin’ kidding me with that!?!”  Unfortunately, at this point it’s kind of a necessity since it’s just so, melt you in your tracks, hot.

We have desperately tried to keep from waking up early during the week by running in the late evenings.  However, this past week has proven that’s just a highly illogical thing to do.  We ran 5 miles on Wednesday, but we held off starting our run until 8:00 PM.  We figured the sun would be close to setting and we would be in for a leisurely, albeit slightly hot, run.  Two miles into the run it was uncomfortably obvious the heat had not intentions of letting up without Sunny the Sidekick.  At mile three we seriously wanted to stop and we pondered the thought more than once and often aloud.  Yes we had plenty of water and I even removed my shirt all slow motion like during the run, but to no avail.  Well, my slow motion shirt removal was actually more daunting a task than anticipated since my shirt was just a bit too tight and filled with sweat.  There was probably about 20 seconds where my shirt was stuck over my face and I was running blind desperately trying to remove it.  Embarrassing?  Yes…very!  Rachel got a good laugh and I may have even torn my shirt a bit.  I’m glad I added an entertainment section to our run, even if it was at my own expense – anything to keep us moving.

After finishing our run it seriously felt like our bodies were emanating heat like pans on a hot stove. We paced around a bit trying to come down before starting our stretches.  We were both surprised the run was much harder than the previous week when we had run about the same time.  It wasn’t until we got into the car that we realized how hot it really was outside.  The car temperature read 103 degrees!  I think in that moment we both agreed, without a word being said, that we are going to have to wake up early during the week for our long runs as well, at least until the weather changes.  Thus, I have been relegated to reminiscing about normal sleeping hours in anticipation of what’s to come.

Regardless of all this I am still excited to continue training.  Maybe we are in the delusional portion of our training and I am completely unaware of what’s to come.  But, I don’t know, maybe that’s a good thing.  I don’t want to know what to expect because I don’t want to start to question myself or my abilities.  For now I am going to enjoy believing that training will always be something to look forward to.  I know it wasn’t always easy training for the half marathons, but, well, sometimes it’s nice to forget what we really don’t want to remember.  What do you say we just focus on the good things…always the good things.

By Raul Alanis