We finished our packing for our trip to San Antonio last night, which is always an experience in itself. I am notorious for being an over-packer. For me it’s about packing for any situation that can arise and, when you live in Texas, any possible change in weather. Luckily, Rachel is a bit of an over-packer herself, so my fault is accepted with understanding. For this trip there are no second chances, so here’s a breakdown of the necessities.
– Dri-Fit Running Caps: Always a must! “Catches sweat like a Mo-Fo!”
– Compression Shorts: Only the best underwear available. I packed two pair…just in case.
– Body Glide: We are BFF’s now. I never run without it…ever!!!
– Shorts: Of course I don’t want to be running in my underwear! I packed four pair…Don’t Judge Me!!
– Shoes: Asics Gel Nimbus 12…If I forget these I might as well not run!! I need them!
– Shirts: I run in a dri-fit shirt which has been with me on many races. However, I did pack three others just in case.
– Cold Gear Under Armor Shirt: The temperature will be cold, but not sure I will need this one because you warm up quickly when running. This will be a race day decision.
– Paperwork: All the necessary paperwork to get our bibs.
– ID’s: Without these we will not be able to run at all. I will be checking to make sure we have them before driving away.
– Socks: We run in Balega socks, which we are very fond of!! They help prevent blisters and they have cushioning in the heel.
– Watches: We nearly forgot them. I remembered just as we were finalizing all the items. I would feel naked without it.
– Immodium: Honestly…why not? You never know. Race day always makes me nervous!!
– Vitamins: Centrum vitamins as well as Emergen-C…A lot can happen between now and Sunday.
– Deodorant: You don’t want people to be scared to run next to you.
That’s pretty much our list of things we are going to need for sure. I hate the feeling that you are forgetting something. I am running everything through my mind right now and it seems like we are on target. For now we are looking at getting the 5 hour drive down to San Antonio over with. We always have a good time talking the whole way, so it should be a good drive. We will debate whether or not to do the toll-way through Austin, which is often a good choice. But, I like driving past my college, flashing the “Hook’em Horns” sign and looking at the city as we drive through. However, I hate the traffic and with Austin there almost always is traffic! Then it’s up early on Saturday to hit the Expo and get our bibs and hopefully spend some time with my Niece…she’s so cute!! Sunday we will be up early and debating whether to let my step-dad drop us off or drive to the AT&T Center and take the shuttle. Right now we are leaning towards being dropped off. It just seems easier that way.
We are both very nervous, excited, scared, excited, anxious, excited and also excited. It’s still two days away and a lot can happen from now until then, so we are trying to take it day by day. San Antonio Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon here we come!!